Dedicated to my dearest hubby and lover of Paani puri.Like most Indians(exclusion of a few like me),my husband dearest is very fond of Paani puri and my MIL is an expert in making it,unfortunately for me,I never picked up this art from my MIL ,though she has given me her recipe many a times.After having failed at a couple of attempts by me in India ,I took the easy way out,BUYING the puris.The draw back with this is eating unlimited quantities may take a toll on the stomach ,as it did with my little daughter.There fore this hunt for making puris was an excercise for me.
Over my time in US I tried other recipes from the net ,to my vain they never turned out good enough to get me an appreciation from my husband.In the end ,this particular recipe saved me and hope it does help you too.
To make Puri’s(about 40 medium sized)
For the Puri:
- 1/2 cup maida
- 3/4 cup sooji
- 4 tsp Wheat Flour
- 1 tsp oil
- salt to taste
- Oil for Frying.
- 2-3 tbsp -Paani Puri Masala
- 2 tsp Lemon Juice
- 1/2 tsp Chilli powder
- 1.5ltrs water
- Salt to taste(Kala namak if available tastes better)
Grind the following.
- 1 Green Chilli
- 1 small Bunch of corriander leaves
- 2 tbps Tamarind paste
- 1/2 to 3/4 cup Jaggery
Veggies for the filling:
- 2-3 Finely chopped onions
- 2 Finely grated carrots.
- A cup of Steamed Corn kernels with salt
- 2-3 boiled and mashed potato mixed with chaat masala and salt.
Preparing the Puri
- Mix all the ingredients of the Puri in a bowl and knead it into a dough with the conistency of the regular puris you make.
- Cover it up for 30mts with a wet cloth .
- Make small balls and spread them out to make thin puris,alternatively you can make a big ball of the dough and roll with the pin to the size of a chapathi and cut out round puris of your size with a bottle/jar cap.
- In a heavy bottom frying pan,heat oil .
- Drop the Puri ,a little pressure with the ladle will allow the puri to puff up,then flip it over the fry it adequately (an over hot pan will turn the puris into dark brown ,so it is necessary to moderate the flame).
- Remove it from Pan into a absorbing paper and store it an air tight container.
Making the Paani:
- Add the ground paste to 1.5ltrs of water.Bring to a boil
- Reduce the heat and add the Paani puri masala,Chilli powder and lemon Juice along with salt to taste.
- Cool and store in refrigerator till ready to use.
Serving Paani Puri:
- Take a puri fill it with the veggies to your taste
- Add sev if available.
- Serve with a bowl full of Paani.
- PUT IT IN YOUR MOUTH!!!