The first time I was exposed to this,was during my little sisters 1st Bday,I was about 9 and they had got a cook to make the Famous Kannur Chicken Biryani.Those days anything in Chicken was YUMMY to me,as my mom was against cooking Chicken at home.I ate so much of that Biryani I can still feel the taste in my mouth.
Over the years,it became just another dish one could eat.Until the inevitable happened….settling far away from home,it was impossible to get to the Kannur Biryani.I scouted most Mallu Restaurant in Blr to get the perfect Biryani to a point where every Mallu Resataurant owner in and around Indiranagar knows my name and “oru Chicken Biryani Parcel “.
Now away from BLR ,exhausting that option as well,I scouted around for the perfect recipe ,tried a couple of times and ended with this,which is more of a combination of several ones I found.
This does satisfy my craving for Kannur Biryani 😉
Preparation time:45mts,Cooking time:60mts,Serves:4
For the Rice
- 3 cups Basmathi Rice.
- 6cups water
- Sliced onion:for Garnish
- Corriander leaves.
- For the Chicken Marinade
3/4 kg Chicken
- Green chillies:2
- Turmeric powder – 1/2 tsp
- Garlic – 8pods
- Curry leaves – 4-5
- Coriander leaves – 1 bunch
- Cumin powder(Jeerakam) – 1/2 tsp
- Coriander powder – 1 tsp
- Yogurt/Curd – 1/2 cup
- Aniseed(Perinjeerakam) powder – 1/2 tsp
- Lime juice – 1 tsp
- Soaked cashew:5-6
- Chilli powder-1tsp
- 2 largeSliced Onion
- 2 Medium Tomatoes chopped
Grind the following:
- Turmeric Powder- 1/2 tsp
- Red Chilly Powder- 1 tbsp
- Crushed Pepper- 1/2 tsp
- Garlic Pods- 4 pods
- Ginger- 1 inch
- Cardamom- 2 nos
- Cinnamon- 1/2 inch
- Cloves- 2 nos
- Curry Leaves- A handful
- Coriander Leaves- A handful
Note:In this preparation ,the Ghee Rice and the Chicken masala is prepared separately and then microcooked for a few mts in alternate layers of the same,I have mentioned my method of preparing the Ghee rice in the recipe,you can replace this with your own method of preparing the Ghee rice in the same.
- Marinate the chicken pieces in the ground paste and set aside for atleast 30 minutes in room temperature.
- Heat 1/4th cup oil in a large vessel
- Add the onions and fry till it turns golden brown and crispy on medium heat.
- Remove the onions from the vessels. Slightly mash the onions. A quick whip in the food processor or a mixer would be enough. Set aside the mashed onions.
- In the same oil, add the tomatoes and fry for around 5 minutes. Remove the tomatoes from the vessel and set aside.
- Add the Biryani masala ground paste to the vessel (the same vessel which was used for frying the onions and the tomatoes). The leftover oil would be sufficient and hence there is no need to add anymore oil.
- Saute the paste till it is well cooked and the oil breaks out from the paste. You may add the salt at this stage.
- Now add the marinated Chicken with the masala and fry till the chicken begins to cook a little,now add the mashed onions and tomato .
- Pour 2 cups of water , stir well and cook till the chicken is almost done.
- In Pressure cooker,heat some oil/ghee.
- Fry the sliced onion till its crispy and brown ,and strain it out for the garnish.
- Add the other spices mentioned in the rice prep,and fry till a nice aroma comes.
- Add the rice and fry for a few mts before adding water.
- Add Salt,and cover with lid(place no weights on the lid),Simmer the stove and cook the rice(Check on rice in between to see if it is cooked).
In a microwavable dish,place Rice and Chicken Masala in alternate layers and garnish with crispy fried onion and chopped corriander leaves.Place this in Microwave at max for 4-5mts and let is settled for a few mts before serving.