Off late this nagging feeling of being a Keralite and unable to make a decent Vellayappam struck me hard and I decided it was time to spend some effort again at making this from scratch.Traditionally the Appam is prepared in a specific pan called the “APPA CHETTY”,from my childhood I remember my mom using a slightly shallow,medium sized Iron pan to do this.Since then lot has changed,and there are wonderful Non stick Appa Chetty’s in the Market.
My trip to US this time,did not include a Appa Chetty ,therefore it was with some doubt that I used the Medium sized Non stick saute pan to do this ,with not so bad results as you can see above.
The accompaniment normally is an Ishtu(either Veggetable or Chicken or Egg-Made in coconut Milk) Or Egg Fry.
Note:This recipe has been picked up from Pachakam.com
Preparation time:15mts,Time to ferment:Over night
For the Appam:
- 2 Cups Rice.
- 1 1/2 Cup Thick Coconut Milk.
- 7 Tbsp Cooked Rice.
- 4-5 tbsp Sugar
- 1/2 tsp Yeast
- 1 Potato Cubes.
- 1 Onion sliced.
- 1 Tomato Chopped.
- 1 Slit Green Chilly
- 4-5 Curry leaves.
- 1 Cup Thick coconut Milk
- 1 Cup water
- Chopped Corriander leaves.
- Soak Rice for 3-4hrs.
- In luke warm mix Sugar and yeast.
- Grind with Cooked rice ,add the coconut milk towards the end.
- To this add the yeast Mix.
- Keep over night for fermentation,it will become 3 times based on the quality of the yeast.
- Add salt & water if necessary and mix before making the Appam.
- Heat the Skillet,so even the sides get heated up.
- For the first Appam smear oil evenly throughout the pan,Wipe off any excess oil.Rub an onion if necessary.
- Put a Ladle full batter in the center of the pan and swirl the batter around so it evenly covers the sides and leaves a little batter at the center.(add some more batter if required)
- Cover the pan so it fry’s evenly.
- Free the sides(if needed with Knife point)-Normally on a nonstick Pan,if a small edge is freed the rest of the Appam slips easily and can be removed with hand.
- For the second appam onwards it would be sufficient to add a drop of oil to the center of the pan and smear it around before pouring the batter.
- Microwave all the vegetables along with curry leaves and Chillies for 15mts.
- Remove this into a cooking vessel,add the coconut Milk and salt.
- Cook for 5-10mts over low flame.
- Add water and simmer.
- Let it settle,garnish with chopped Coriander leaves.
- Serve with Hot Appam.