This Kerala-Mangalore Konkani fish curry is simple and tasty and brings out the flavour of the fish.The gravy is a combination of the Chilly powder and Tamarind pulp with the sweetness of the fried onions.The base gravy is same and can be used for any fish from Sardine to Sear fish,dried Shrimp to even vegetables like Mushroom,Potato etc.
The Name PannaUpkari stands for the gravy of dry and seasoned gravy in this case Seasoning of Onion.The most Characteristic of this gravy is the Spicyness of the sauce from the amount of chilly powder that goes in and in its traditional form will “blow away ones’s top”.
Down my memory lane at my Granny’s house the traditional form of this was made out of ground Red Chilly paste , concentrated to the point where to eat this,we kids used to sit with bottles of water fighting for water and for the gravy ,never saying no to a second ,third …helping.My late Grandpa used to fondly call this “GUNPOWDER” .
What I have jotted here,is a very mellowed down form of the traditional dish and easier on our palettes.I hope you can enjoy it as much as my daughter and I do.
Preparation time:10mts,Cooking time:30mts,Serves 2
- 7-8 Fish Pieces .
- 1 Medium sized ,Finely chopped Onion.
- 1 Coin sized Tamarind -made into pulp.
- 1Tomato chopped(optional-not used in the traditional dish)
- 1tbsp Red Chilly Powder(or Ground Red Chilly)
- Salt to taste
- Preparing the Fish-You can use any type of fish ranging to pom fret fillets to Mackerel,sardine ,Tilapia.One can also use forzen fish ,if fresh fish in not available but it would be wise to wash the frozen fish well with Turmeric powder and some Vinegar to remove the Frozen fish smell.For my dish I have used frozen Tilapia Fillets cut into about 6 peices.
- In a Pan,heat about 1 tbsp of Oil,Fry the chopped onion till golden brown.
- Add the Chilly powder and fry for 3mts(toss it around so the powder does not burn).
- Add Tamarind Paste/Pulp and mix for 90Secs.
- Add the tomato pieces,this is optional(this dish is made very spicy,I add tomatoes to reduce the pungency).
- Add the fish pieces,salt and 3/4 cup water and cook till fish is done and the gravy thickens and is semi liquid y.
- Remove from stove.Let it cool a little,so the fish is well covered in the curry.
- Serve with hot rice.