This is a typical Mangalore/Konkani Breakfast dish ,steam cooked and quick to make.One can prepare this even in the morning,if using idli rava,if you intend to make from Rice then it needs soaking for atleast 2hrs.
This Dish is best when eaten hot either with the accompaniment,Piyava Gojju(a Onion and Tamarind pickle like side) or with Butter.If not hot,one can run it in the Micro wave for a few minutes and get it as fresh.
My Grand mom is a specialist in this and as I child I used to love those rainy days holidays when I would some how land up at her home and she would serve us this hot combo,in her loving remembrance,I am posting this recipe.
Time to Soak:2hrs,Preparation time:30mts.
- 2 Cups Rice.
- 1 cup Coconut grating.
- 2tsp Mustard
- 1tsp Urad dal
- Curry leaves-4-5
- Few fenugreek seeds.
- Oil for Seasoning.
For Piyava Gojju:
- 1 Medium Onion(Finely sliced)
- One large Coin sized lump of Tamarind.
- 3/4 tbsp Chilli powder.
- Salt to taste.
- Oil for frying.
To make Undi:
- Soak Rice for 2hrs ,add the Coconut grating,salt and grind it coarsely with very less water(the rice should feel like semolina/rava).
- Transfer batter into a pan ,add water from the washed grinder into the batter to get consistency of dosa batter.
- In a Pan,add oil,splutter the mustards,add Urad dal and Fenugreek seeds along with curry leaves and fry for 30secs,transfer this to the batter in the pan.
- Mix the batter thoroughly and place it on stove,keep moving the batter so that it begins to lump up ,and switch of the stove once the entire batter has lumped but not too dry.
- Now make small balls and give a slight depression at the center.
- The final stage for this is to steam with,for this you can keep these balls on the idli plate in the pressure cooker and cook it for 15 mts without weights.
- Serve with gojju.
To make Gojju:
- Put tamarind in luke warm water and extract its juice.
- To this add the finely chopped onion and salt and mix well.
- In a pan, put some oil ,when that is hot add chilli poweder and fry for 10secs.
- Add this to the tamarind mix and mix well.You may add a little water to get some gravy.