Like any 6yrs old my daughter hates vegetables ,and green vegetables in particular.This is one dish her nanny has taught her to eat with fondness towards the vegetables.Though she realizes that this is a vegetable she “eeews”,my daughters eats it with her fond memories of her Nanny who took care of her like a great Grand mother.Thanks to Kalavathy Mayi for imbibing this taste in her and for taking care of all of us.
- 4cups Green Spinach
- 1cup Coconut grating.
- 3-4 fried dry red chillies.
- 1 Medium blob Tamarind
- 1/2 large Onion Finely chopped.
- 3/4 cup Cooked Toor dal.
- Salt to taste.
- Oil for seasoning.
- Pressure cook Toor dal and keep 3/4 cup for this dish.
- Wash and Cut the spinach coarsely,add the Toor dal and 1/4 of the chopped onion and cook till the Spinach has mellowed down,say about 7-8mts on medium flame should be enough.
- Grind to fine paste Coconut,red chillies and tamarind.
- Add this to the above pot of cooked Spinach ,along with salt and bring to boil.Switch of the stove.
- In your seasoning pan add about 2tbsp of Oil and let it come to heat.Add the Onion and fry them till they are deep brown and just about to turn into burnt(but do not burn it).
- Add this to the curry.
- Serve with Hot Rice.