Preparation time:15mts,Cooking time:5mts,Servings:3(size of a small bowl)
One of the very few desserts I love.Though I am an ardent foodie ,I am not very conducive to having desserts or making them ,its the main course which normally entices me .When ever I go to Continental restaurants and my companion passes me the menu during the dessert course,I normally ask the bearer just one qsn ,do you have Caramel Custard,any shape or form :D.In India most restaurants do not carry this,there are some who carry this in their menus but I should say they are a handful.In US I have had this in a couple of places though they go by the name of Flan here,it is a little bit different from the one I have presented here,it being more creamier since one can use cream to make it.
My mom knew that I loved Eggs and was not very fond of milk,therefore as a child to help my sis and me gain some weight ,she introduced us to this terrific quick dessert.She would make this before her afternoon siesta and cool in the refrigerator so that we can come straight from school and dig into it.It used to be our routine to come and check first in the fridge before we wake her up from her beauty sleep.We grew to love this dessert,my sister more than I,so much that at her place this dessert is made at least 3 times and month,there fore this goes to my loving sis and her soon to come little one,I hope your little one likes it as much as we do.
For the caramel:
- 1 Cup Sugar
- 1/4 cup water
For the Custard
- 2 eggs
- 1 1/2 cup Milk
- 5 tsp Sugar(adjust if very sweet required).
- 2 drops of Vanilla extract
- Mix water and Sugar into a vessel and cook it on stove top till the sugar caramelizes to your required color.It took about 15mts for me.(note:I also read that this can be made in Microwave,by putting at high for 8-9mts I was not very sure of my microwavable dish therefore I have done on stove top)
- Warm milk (do not boil) and mix with sugar,eggs and Vanilla extract and beat well.
- Pour caramelize sugar syrup into you microwave dish/mold,make sure you use a glass/cookware bowl since the regular Microwavable Tupperware cannot withstand the heat of caramelized sugar and will give up.
- Pour the Milk mixture over this syrup,and cover with plastic film.
- Cook for about 5mts ,at 75% heat for each mold.
- Let it settle and cool down,refrigerate if you like it cold.
- To serve,place a plate to cover the top of your mold /dish and turn the bowl upside down.
- Gently shake the mold to release the custard on to plate,the caramel liquid will ooze on to sides.