Preparation time:20mts,Cooking time:30mts,Serves:3-4
Another of my all time favorites,served in most restaurants in India,the Chinese Chilly Chicken. It is said that this dish is more of Indian origin than it is Chinese,there fore the reason why one does not find this dish in the Chinese restaurants outside India.
I have seen some Chinese restaurants serving these inUS ,the Black Bean Chicken Chilli and they dont taste anything like what we have back home.
I have found that compared to its counterparts served in Chinese restaurants in India,it is the Punjabi Dhabha’s that best make this dish .I have seen several recipes for this online and have tried them individually but not actually getting the right taste,texture and aroma.Finally this recipe is a combination of a couple of them I found online and turned out to be the closest I have eaten in a dhabha.
I have not added Ajinomoto in this dish,you may add if you are not averse to the chemical and would like the Chinese taste of it.
- Chicken – Stir fry pieces,3″ peices,about 20peices.
- 1 Medium Onion -Chopped
- 1 Spring onion chopped.
- 1/2 tsp Ginger paste
- 1 tsp Garlic paste
- Tomato – 1 tbsp ea for the batter and for the gravy.
- 1 Jalapenos – Finely chopped
- Capsicum – 1, chopped into squares.
- 1 tsp Red chilly powder
- 1/4 tsp Black pepper powder
- 2 tbsp All purpose flour/Maida
- 3 tsp of Dark Soya sauce for batter
- 1/2 tsp Dark Soy sauce for the gravy.
- 2 tsp Vinegar for batter,1/2 tsp for the gravy.
- Salt to taste
- Oil for frying
- Wash and cut Chicken to the mentioned measurements,or use Stir fry pieces readily available in market.
- Mix the all pupose flour,Ginger paste,garlic paste,3 tbsp Dark Soya sauce,Black pepper powder,Tomato sauce,Chilly powder and salt to taste.(the marinade may taste a little tangy,but that is ok).You may add about 1/4 cup water to get the mix to be a semi solid
- Marinade the chicken in this mix and leave it on the side for at least 1hr.The marinade should coat well on the chicken.
- In a Deep frying pan,add oil and bring it to a good heat.Keep the flame at 70% and dd the battered Chicken pieces and fry for about 3-4 mts till the coating fries to a reddish brown.ps:do not throw the left over marinade.
- Strain the fried pieces off chicken on to a paper towel.
- In a Pan,add 1 tsp of oil and heat it.
- Add the chopped jalapenos ,fry for a few seconds before adding the chopped onions.Fry till the onions are light brown,add the white portion of the Spring onion and fry for a few mts.
- To this add capsicum and the left over batter and fry for 7-8mts,or till the capsicum is fairly cooked.PS:will have to move the spoon around in this phase so the batter does not stick to pan.
- Now add the remaining soya sauce,tomato sauce and vinegar.(you can add pepper if u like more spicy).Cook for a couple of mts,add about 1/4 cup water from the washed batter container.(this will make a tasty sauce ).
- Cook for a few mts till the water added above thickens the sauce and add in the fried chicken pieces.
- Mix well by tossing the pan by holding the pan handles if possible,else use a ladle.
- Garnish with fresh cut Green stalk of Spring onions.
- Dhabha style Chilly Chicken is ready to be served!