My Guru in cooking,My Mother loves to cook and try new things ,and also does love feeding her family and friends.Though her former qualities have rubbed heavily on me,the latter is remiss.
Of the many recipe’s my mom has tried on us,this one has been the most everlasting hit with her kids,husband ,family and friends a like.My attempt to replicate my mom’s dish lacks her love and the super tasty small prawns we get back home in Kerala.Nevertheless,this is a very good recipe for the people who love Prawns.
You are most welcome to try and share your comments.
- 3/4 Kg white Prawns preferably small or medium ones,only if these are unavailable go for the large ones(one in my photo are the large ones).
- 1 Large Onion(Shallots are preferred ,quantity is based on size of shallots,if you are using the Indian small ones can go to about 1/2 a packet)
- 1 Whole small Garlic(20 pods)
- 1″ ginger
- 1/4 tsp Pepper powder
- 1/2 tsp chilly powder
- 1/2 turmeric powder
- 1 tbsp coconut grating
- 1/2 tsp Grama masala powder or all spices(cloves,cinnamon,bayleaves etc).
- 1 large Jalapeno.
- 3 Medium ripe tomatoes.
- 2 Cups Basmati Rice.
- 3-4 tbsp ghee
- 1tbsp oil
- 1 bunch chopped Corriander.
- 3 cups water.
- Few Cloves,raisins,bayleaves,Cinnamon stick seasoning for rice.
- Grind items 2 to 10 into a coarse paste with salt as required.
- In a pan,put some oil and fry this completely till it fried completely and starts becoming brown from a orange red.
- Add Chopped Tomatoes,and fry till the Tomatoes are partially cooked.(please make sure your tomatoes are tangy enough,to adjust u can add a 1/2 tsp of lemon juice if required,else the masala might taste a little bitter this adjustment needs to be done after the prawns are added).
- Add the Prawns ,and cook/fry,do not add any water at this stage as the Prawns have water content in them and they will add the necessary moisture.
- Adjust the salt if required and the tangyness mentioned above.(at this stage the prawns would have released its sweetness and ur masala may taste sweetish,if you like you may add little pepper to make it spicy).
- If prawns are not cooked add some water and cook it thoroughly,if the gravy is very dry add little water,as this masala is to be spread over rice,therefore a curry a consistency of paste is required.
- Make Ghee rice,you may cook this in a open vessel or in apressure cooker.To do this,in the container add the ghee ,fry the spices mentioned for the rice(raisins,cloves,bayleaf,cinnamon,cardamom etc) till it emits aroma.Add the Washed ,dry rice and fry the rice for a few mts so it changes color from white to creamish.
- Add water and salt to taste,and cook under cover till 80% done.Switch off the flame and let is cook the rest under cover.(if doing by pressure cooker,I do it without weights and cook for nearly 15 mts on medium flame whilst checking for the rice atleast 3 times in between).
- Now in a microwavable dish,alternately layer Rice,Masala,chopped Corriander in that order,and give the top layer of Rice mixed properly with Masala.
- Let it settle for a few mts ,then microcook for 4mts and let it settle for 10mts ,before serving.
- Prawn biryani is ready to serve,along side my Beets and dates pickle .