The only Pizza I eat are the ones made at home,with the Pizza base freshly made.This Pizza base recipe belongs to an elderly friend of my Mom’s ;Late Mrs Parvathy Baliga.
My mom used to make this for us in her OTS Oven when we were kids ,coming back from school the heavenly aroma of Cooking Bread and Veggies used to welcome us,followed by a angry growl from the stomach.Those days our town did not have any joint that served Pizza and I had never even known how it was supposed to look like.
My subsequent exposure to all sorts of Pizza joints and its different types of Pizza never could sway me from the Pizza my mom made,the Cost of the same just added to my dislike of these Pizzas.The Only one I used to like was the ones Served at a local eatery joint in Malleshwaram Bangalore,which was almost similar,but unfortunately they made them with pre cooked Base.
Last night ,my hubby asked me if I wanted to eat Pizza outside,this brought back my Pizza memories and therefore my First ever attempt in life to make Pizza from SCRATCH!I was surprised at the outcome and hope you will be successful at it too.
Operational Tip:I did not have a Pizza baking stone,or the perforated Pizza trays that are available in Market,there fore I used the regular baking tray with aluminum Foil.The Base may stick on to the Foil for which you can first cut the slices of Pizza and remove the Foil from the Pizza rather removing the Pizza from the Foil,hope you get what I mean.
- 2 1/2 cup all purpose Flour/Maida.
- 2 tsp Yeast
- 2 tsp Sugar
- 1 tsp salt
- 3/4 cup water
- 2 tsp Yogurt
- 2 tbsp Oil
For the Veggie Gravy Topping:
- 2 Cup Chopped onion
- 1/4 Cup Capsicum
- 1 Chopped Tomato
- 1/4 Cup Chopped Carrots
- 1/4 Cup Chopped Cabbage
- 1 tsp Chilly powder
- 1 1/2 tbsp Tomato Sauce
For Raw Veg Topping:
- 1 Small Onion Sliced.
- 1 Carrot Shredded.
- 1/4 Capsicum Sliced.
- 2-3 tbsp Tomato Sauce.
- Shredded Mozzarella Cheese.
Making Pizza Dough
- Mix Yeast,Sugar and Luke warm water in a bowl and set aside for 20mts,so that it begins to ferment and becomes a creamy mix.
- To this add salt,Yogurt and mix well.
- Add Flour to this and mix to make a dough,add little bit more water to make a lump of dough.
- To this add 2tbsp oil and mix again.Keep this Sticky dough covered for upto 3hrs.(Make sure the dough is not dry,it will be a little sticky.)
- The dough will increase three times its size(if the dough and yeast is good).
- Meanwhile make the veggie topping gravy.
- In a Pan add Oil and fry the onion till it become golden Brown.
- Add the Cabbage and fry for a few mts.
- Add Chilly powder and fry for a couple of mts.
- Add in the carrots,capsicum and fry for a 3-4 mts.
- Add Tomatoes,fry till all veggies are cooked for nearly 5mts.
- Add Tomato Sauce and salt to taste mix well.
- Add 2 tbsp water and cook for a couple of mts.
- This is the veggie gravy for the Pizza Topping.
Baking the Pizza:
- Pre heat the Oven for 10mts at 350Deg F.
- In a Oven tray ,lay aluminum foil.Smear 2-3 tbsp Oil on it.Place the Pizza dough and spread it out from center to outside making a 11″ Circle.
- Top it with the Tomato Sauce to cover the entire Pizza.
- Over this spread the veggie gravy evenly.
- Top this with the raw veggies Capsicum,Carrots,Onions .
- Place the tray in the Oven and set the Bake time for 25mts.
- When the Timer shows 5mts to completion(ie 20mts are already over,there will be aroma from the oven of cooking bread and veggies),add the shredded cheese.
- Complete the cooking Cycle.
- Take it out and serve it w/Tomato Ketchup.
- What I have shown below is Half -Cheese Pizza since we have a combination of Cheese lover and haters at home.