Preparation time:60mts,Cooking time:30mts.
I had been looking for a different Chicken dish which I have not had before ,and necessarily Indian which can go with Rice and Roti on the net,when I bumped across 2 contenders,Chicken Rezala and Malwani chicken. Kept thinking which one will be a better bet,and Rezala looked more like the one I should try as there were many recipes online and many version of the same,but I missed a main ingredient in in “Keora water” which was one reason and the other one was,while Rezala has Indian,Pakistani and Bangaladeshi versions of it,Malwani Chicken had not been made by many.There it is,I decided,this looks risky and I am in mood for some risk.;-)
I used this recipe ,though it looks very elaborate,one can combine a step or 2,like making the dry and wet masala together,since there is no requirement of separately frying the 2.
Note:The dish looks a little greenish brownish yellow ; for some reason my camera is not capturing this color.
- 1/ 2 kg Chicken -About 20pieces.
- 2 Tomatoes Chopped.
- 1tsp turmeric powder
- 4tbsp Curd.
- 1tbsp Lemon juice.
Masala for Marination:
- 1 Bunch Corriander Leaves
- 2 Green Chillies
- 2-3 Cloves
- 1/2″ ginger
Second Masala Grind together:
- 1 bunch Corriander
- 1 Green chillies.
- 3 Garlic pods
- 1/2 ” Ginger
- 1tsp Corriander Seeds
- 1 Medium Onion.
- 1tsp Perrinjeerakam/Fennel seeds.
Dry -Fry and Grind:
- 1tbsp Dry Coconut
- 1 Medium Onion Chopped.
- 2 Cinnamon
- 2 cardamom
- tsp Corriander
- Pepper corns (if you like spicy)
- 1/2 tsp Poppy seeds
- 4-5 Cashew.
Other Ingredients :
- 1/2 Large Onion Sliced
- 2 Tomatoes Chopped.
- 1/2 tsp Chilly Powder
- 1/4 tsp Astefotida.
- Salt to Taste
- Oil for frying.
- Tempering:2 Bayleaves,2 cloves,1 cinnamon sticks.
- Chopped Corriander leaves for Garnish.
- Marinate washed and cut chicken with Marinade Paste,Salt,Turmeric,Curd and Lime juice and set aside for atleast 30mts
- In a Pan,add some oil .
- Add hing/asefotida,Fry till a nice smells is eminated.
- Add the whole spices from the tempering list,and fry again
- To this drop in sliced onion & fry till translucent.
- Add Chopped tomatoes and fry till its cooked.
- Add Second Masala and Chilly powder.
- Add Chicken along with its marinade and the dry fry ground Masala.
- Mix well,and cook with sufficient water till it is done.
- Top it with about 1tbsp Lime Juice,if you dont like the spicyness.
- Garnish with Corriander leaves.
- Serve with Ghee rice.