Monday is a very difficult day for me,since I refrain myself from eating some of my favorite things like Non-Veg,Onions and even Rice,what makes it all the more difficult is that since I have to prepare something for the rest of the family,it is almost impossible to stop myself from tossing it into my mouth.
There fore with much refrain and thought ,I decided to make the Penne Almost Marinara.Now you would be wondering why it is ALMOST ?? . It is named thus because the traditional marinara sauce includes other herbs like oregano,thyme,parsley etc.In this ,since my pantry lacked these herbs ,I have added items that were available .
No tasting!!!.I had some doubts ,if this would appeal to my 6yr old daughter,and she certified it with her smile and a dialog “Mom,this is much better than the one in restaurant” and of course “You are the best MOM is world ” title too.Thus today being Valentines,I have earned mine.
Preparation time:5mts,Cooking time:20mts,Serves:1(Since this was planned only for my daughter)
- 2-3 Cups Penne Rigate
- 1 Small Onion finely Chopped
- 1 Tomato Finely Chopped.
- 3-4 Tomato Puree(you can substitute with may be 2 more chopped tomatoes).
- 1 Large garlic pod Finely chopped
- 1 tsp sweet Basil
- 1/2 tsp Chilly powder(paprika)
- 4-5 sprigs of coriander/cilantro leaves finely chopped.
- Salt to taste
- Olive oil for frying.
- 4-5 Mushrooms sliced.
- 1 tsp Butter for frying Mushrooms.
- In a pan add butter and stir fry the mushrooms with a little salt, lightly till it semi cooked.
- Remove the mushrooms from pan.
- In the same pan,add the olive oil about 3/4 tbsp.
- Saute the Onions and garlic in it,till they are slightly brown,this should take about 4mts.
- Add the chopped tomato and fry for a mt or 2,before adding the tomato puree.
- Cook for 4-5 mts.
- Add chilly powder,basil ,salt and chopped cilantro.Mix well.
- Cook for 2mts,if the sauce has become dry add upto 2tbsp of water for the required consistency.
- Meanwhile,take a pot full of water and bring to boil.
- Add the Penne,with adequate salt and cook for 10 mts occasionally stirring it.
- Strain it and add it to sauce above ,and the stir fried mushrooms.
- Let it settle for a couple of mts,before serving.