Its been ages that I had spoken to my good friend Nandini,I had not been able to do so ever since I had landed in US.Last morning,I got to doing it and the talk was very refreshing .She knows my food woes with my daughter and during one of our intercepts she explained to me how I can introduce more whole grains and veggies into her diet,here is one such Bengali Pancake she told me about,which my daughter liked as well ,as it tastes very much like the Egg Omlette I used to make for her.
This is a vegetarian version of the French Omelete and is also made with Gramm flour.The Moong dal one is preferred as , Gram flour being little on the gassy side .
Preparation time:2hrs(saoking time),Cookingtime:2mts,Serves:3-4
- 1 cup Yellow Moong Dal
- ¼ cup White Urad Dal
- 2 cups Finely Chopped Spinach
- 1 large onion sliced finely
- 2 green chilies chopped finely (optional while giving children)
- 2-3tbsp grated carrot
- 1 teaspoon Cumin Seeds
- 1 teaspoon Turmeric Powder
- 1 teaspoon fennel seeds
- Salt to taste
- Vegetable/Sunflower Oil
- Wash and Soak Moong dal and Urad dal for atleast 2hrs.
- Grind to a smooth paste with the water used in soaking.The batter should be of the consistency of a dosa/ any regular pancake batter.
- In a pan,heat oil.
- Add the Cumin seeds and splutter,add the onions till it is translucent.
- Add the chopped Spinach, grated carrots,fried Onions,Green Chillies to the batter along with salt,turmeric and mix well.
- In a Dosa pan,after heating up ,add a ladle full of batter and spread it round.
- Pour some oil on the edges ,and a ferw drops in the center and flip it over.
- Fry both the sides for a crispy finish.
- Serve hot with Tomato Ketchup.