Every body who has been to Mangalore ,would swear by the tastiness of the fish fry.What makes it so droollofic(my word for the ability to make one drool) tasty is not only the fresh fish but the masala or what is call the gooli.
Its a simple ,yet uncommon use of hing/astefotida in coating masala of the fish which makes it awesome.There are yet many ways of frying fish ,even in mangalore region ,but this is the most commonly used one in the GSB household and in most of the fried fish accompanying the Fish meal served in the hotels in Mangalore.
One can try this on any fish including the Mussles,River / Sea fish,Fresh / frozen and yet give you the same feeling of eating fried fish back in Mangalore .I have used this on frozen Tilapia and is my daughter’s favourite of the fish dishes I can make here in Rockford.
The following recipe is for a single fillet of Tilapia cut into 6 peices,you can increase this to your requirments.
- 6 medium size peices of fish.
- 2 tbsp Chilly powder.
- 1 tbsp salt.
- 1/3 tsp Astefotida/Hing.
- 1 1/2 tbsp water.
- Rice flour 3 tbsp
- Oil for frying.
- Clean and cut the fish .
- Mix ingredients 2 to 5 and apply generously to the fish on all sides.(if using full fish like sardine,Mackarel etc apply on the insides as well).
- Set aside for 30mts for best results.
- In a Deep frying pan,add oil so that the fish can sink it.
- When it is heated,dip the fish in Rice flour to coat it on either side with a layer of flour.
- Fry it in oil on Medium flame,till one side is done.Then turn it over to the other side.
- In about 5mts both sides will be fairly cooked.
- Take out into paper towel to remove excess oil.
- Serve hot.