Winter Melon /Ash gourd as we know it in English is a very humble but a very nutritious vegetable and good source of Vit C.In India ,this is used to make curry dishes as well as sweet.;one of the most popular sweet being the Peta ,made by cooking processed Ash gourd in sugar even though being very sweet,is something one can get addicted to.
Amongst many curries that can be prepared out of this vegetable, a one commonly served at the Kerala style lunch menus, is made with a slight variation at our homes.If you are looking for the authentic Pulissery,then let me point out that this may not be the one.
This particular dish also goes by the name of Pachadi in some North Malabar home.Nevertheless the combination of this sweet and nutritious humble vegetable along with Yogurt and Coconut is a tasty side dish to serve with rice.
- 4 Cups “Cut in Cube” Winter melon Pieces
- 2 Green chillies.
- 1″ Ginger
- 1/2 Cup Coconut grating.
- 1 tsp Mustard.
- 1/2 tsp Jeera.
- 1/2 Cup Yogurt.
- Salt to taste.
- 1/2 tsp Mustard.
- 1/2 sp grated coconute
- 5-6 Curry leaves.(9-11 for tempering)
- Cook the cut Winter melon pieces with salt,water(1-1.5Cup) and 1 slit green chilly,keep aside to cool down.
- Grind together Coconut,rest of green chillies and Ginger into smooth paste.When the paste is half done add Mustard and Jeera and grind to smooth paste.
- Add this with salt and yogurt to the cooked-cool Winter melon.
- In a Seasoning pan,add oil ,splutter the mustard,add the curry leaves and when it gives out a nice aroma ,add the coconut grating to fry for a few sec(coconut will become brown).Add this tempering to the above .
- This is a great accompaniment for some tasty Sambar and rice.