The other day when I went to the supermarket here I found some small onion.Had been looking for some fresh options of this ,but since I got frozen I took a packet of it and started thinking what would be a good try.
Though frozen that they were,I found and interesting but simple idea shaping in my mind.Sambar!!-now you make ask whats news,ofcourse it isnt!.Venkaya Sambar is made from these and is very common ,but are the combination of small onions ,some small potatoes and some cherry tomatoes ?How would it taste ???.Well,I tried and I have decided to call it – Miniature Sambar!
- 1 1/2 Cup Cooked Toor Dal
- 10-15 Small Shallot/Cheriya ulli
- 5-6 Cherry Tomatoes
- 4-5 Small potatoes
- 3tbsp Sambar powder
- 1 green chilly
- salt to taste
- Mustard and curry leaves for seasoning
- Chopped coriander for garnish.
- Pressure cook dal and keep aside.
- Cook Small shallot/cheriya ulli in Microwave for 8mts.
- Cook Potato in micro wave for 12mts.
- To the cherry tomatoes back side make a small incision and cook them all in microwave for 4-5mts.
- Put them all ie dal,and the veggies cooked above in a vessel along with green chillies and bring to boil.
- Make tamarind paste and to this add sambar powder and mix well.
- Add this to the boiled veggies,salt to taste and bring to final boil.
- Season with tempered mustard and curry leaves
- Garnish with coriander.