Masoor for the most who may have not used it is the pinkish looking dal one can find at the Indian Grocery.From my MIL I learned to use this dal,one of her himachal recipes “Katti Dal”,I will share that recipe some time when I make it.This one is the whole form with the skin,which is brown in color,which even I am trying for the very first time.
Last time I went to grocery store I mistook the Masoor for Matki and picked up a very large bag of Whole Masoor.When I realized ,I thought may be I can make something interesting with the sprouts of the same,to vain :(.
I am still figuring out why these lentils will not sprout,I have tried it couple of time now to no effect and the packet of these lentils have been lying my store for sometime.Last night when I was planning how I could use these lentils,when I remembered a dish we used to enjoy during my college days at my PG.We used to devour this dish,which was essentially made out of the “matki”,so today I ventured into making it with masoor and it turned out exceptionally well.
PS:My taste are a little less spicy,if you love more pungent,you can increase the green chillies.
- 1 1/2 cup Whole Masoor washed & soaked for 4hrs.
- 1/2 large Onion-chopped.
- 1 1/2 Tomatoes-Chopped
- 1/2 tsp Cumin seeds
- 1 large green chilly -chopped.
- 1/2 tsp Kashmiri chilly powder
- 3/4 tsp Coriander powder
- 1/4 tsp turmeric powder.
- 1/2 tsp ginger paste
- 1/2 tsp garlic paste
- Salt to taste
- Pressure cook the soaked masoor,for upto 3 whistles on medium flame.
- In a pan,add 1 tsp of oil.Add the Cumin and fry till it lets out a nice aroma.
- To this add chopped onion and green chillies,fry till the onion are a nice brown shade.
- Add Ginger and garlic paste,coriander,turmeric and chilly powder,fry this for a minute.
- Add the chopped tomatoes and mix well.Fry till the tomatoes are cooked for about 5-6mts.
- To this add the cooked masoor and salt to taste.
- Bring to a boil and garnish with chopped cilantro leaves.
- Serve hot with roti.