Come Mango season and at every GSB functions you will find the Amba(Mango) Avnas(Pineapple) Sasam(type of Curry).Though its a sweet dish,unlike the general fruit salad which is essentially a dessert,the Amba avnas sasam is a side dish which is served with rice and other assorted dishes at temple and other functions.
The fruits used in this is limited mostly to Mango and Pineapple,but during the off season the Mangos are replaced with Mango Pulp and Apples.
The most important point to note in this dish is that though its base is made of coconut there is no cooking of gravy done,there fore this is very liable to get spoilt if kept out of refrigerator especially during summer.There fore care needs to be take to put it back in the refrigerator until its time to use it.
- 1 Large Mango cut into pieces
- 2cups of Pineapple cut into pieces
- 5-6 grapes(not very necessary)
- For the gravy
- 1 Cup grated coconut
- 1-2 dried fried red chilly
- small piece of tamarind
- 1 tsp Mustard seeds
- Small piece of Jaggery
- Salt to taste
- Mix all the fruits well in a bowl with salt and Jaggery(if available add a little bit of mango pulp)
- Grind the coconut ,red chilly and tamarind into paste and when just about to take out ,add the mustard seeds and grind for 1mt.
- Add this to the fruits,mix well and add a little bit of water about 1/2 cup .
- Set aside for 1 hr before serving.