Preparation time:30mts,cooking time:60mts,serves:4
Today India won the World Cup 2011 Semi Finals against Pakistan,more than Cricket it was the Moral victory which was emotional.Then I thought what better way to celebrate this happiness than with the reminiscence of my country with the most famous dish of the country the Butter Chicken.
It is a very rich dish as it uses a lot of butter,milk and cream with a base of Onion and tomato which gives it a sweet and sourish taste.
- 1/2 kg Bone in Chicken-Cut into pieces.
- 1 tbsp Lime juice.
- 1 tsp Chilly powder.
- 1 tsp Ginger paste
- 1/2 tsp Garlic paste
- 2 tbsp yogurt
- Salt to taste.
- 1/2 tsp Garam Masala.
- For the gravy
- 1 large Onion chopped
- 2″ ginger jullien
- 4-5 large garlic pods chopped
- 1 large jalapeno:Deseeded and slit.
- 3 Large Ripe Tomato Chopped.
- 1 tsp Chilly powder
- 1/2 tsp Garam masala powder
- 2 tbsp Honey
- 1/4 cup milk
- 3-4 tbsp heavy cream.
- 1tsp Kasoori Methi(I have seen this in a lot of recipes for Butter chicken but since I was not having it in my Pantry I did not use it,and even without it this dish tastes awesome)
- Clean and cut chicken into pieces.
- With knife tip make perforations into the chicken pieces.
- Apply lime ,Chilly powder and salt and keep aside for 30mts.
- To this add Ginger,garlic paste,garam masala,yogurt and marinate for 1 hr.
- Put the marinade chicken in a skewer and cook it in a moderately hot tandoori or a preheated oven (200°C) for ten to fifteen minutes or until almost done or in a pan add about 2tbsp of butter and fry these peices in it for about 5mts.Take out the pieces.
- In the same pan,fry the slit green chillies,chopped garlic and ginger jullienes.
- When brown ,add the onions and fry till the onions are translucent.
- Add the chopped tomato and cook till the tomatoes are mushy(I saw this in a video which said this way the tomatoes retain the color as against adding tomato puree which lightens the color or adding artificial coloring).
- Add about 1 cup of water and bring to a boil
- Let it cool,put this mixture in a grinder and grind to a smooth paste.
- In a pan,add this ground paste and bring to boil
- Add Chilly powder,garam masala,salt(&Kasoori Methi if you have it) -Mix and simmer.
- Add honey and milk and bring to a boil
- Add the fried chicken pieces ,mix and cook on low heat for 45-60mts.
- Adjust the gravy consistency by adding water,it should not be thick since the cream makes it thick.
- Switch off and add Cream
- Serve with hot rice/naan