Summer being the season for nice and juicy Pineapple,I decided to make Pineapple Maramalade,aka Murabba.Like the Marmalade but a little Indianised it can be used to eat with Roti,Puri,Bread and even Dosas.Can be stored in air tight jar in refrigerator or outside ,if adding preservative. My first attempt at this was not as successful as my second one.In my first attempt I have cut the Pineapple into pieces like the ones we eat,and had cooked it ,had added much less sugar than it could have held and since my pineapple was not very juicy,I had added some water in it in the process to get some jelly out of it,end product was disastorous as the Pineapple was undercooked and the water content in it caused it be spoilt in a weeks time. I could not rest till I had a success at it and this time I decided to use what I had learned from as a result the outcome was very satisfying. Preparation time:10mts,cooking time:30-40mts. What you need:
- 1 Small Ripe & orange Pineapple
- 3 Cups of Sugar
- 4 Cardamom powder
How to make:
- Cut the “head” and “butt” of the Pineapple.Remove its skin,so that even the “eyes”(the ones that contain the irritable portion of the pineapple).
- Remove the midsection of the Pineapple-To do this cut the pineapple length wise in quarters and remove the tip portion which is stalkier to about 1″.
- Now further cut the quarters into 2-3 parts and slice it it smaller pieces.
- Add the sugar mentioned above and cook on medium heat without water for about 30mts.
- In this time the quantity will reduce to 1/3 and water will be released from the pineapple which will subsequently be sucked into for cooking.
- After 30mts,the Pineapple will be fairly cooked and will loose its bright yellow to a cooked-translucent yellow.if this is not reached you will have to keep cooking till it does and to help you can add little water or Sugar.
- Check the sweetness,some pineapple are very sour and may need more Sugar to satisfy your sweet tooth.
- Add the cardamom powder and cook for another 5-10mts.
- Let it cool,you can also choose to eat it like Jam but for best usage,eat with Puri.