What comes to mind to a hungry Indian on way from work/school/college back home when there is no ready food waiting to pacify your hunger,a quick stop at the local bakery to pick a nice hot Puff.Most often the non-veggies will pick an Egg Puff over the Veg Puff .
Though such pleasures are missing in US,there are certain advantages,we do not have to rely on the bakeries to provide us with the puffs we can make them at home easily.
All you need is Puff Pastry sheets,some eggs and Onions. I have written here the recipe for an egg puff,but you can add veggies of your choice to the base gravy to make a veggie Puff.
What you need:
- 4 Eggs-3 hard boiled,1-Lightly beaten for brushing.
- 1 Pepperidge Puff Pastry sheet.
- 1/2 Large Tomato sliced.
- 1/2 Onion Chopped.
- 1/4 tsp Cumin powder.
- 1/4 tsp Chilly powder
- 1 tsp Garam masala.
- Curry leave 5-6
- a pinch of astefotida.
- a pinch of star anise seed
- Salt to taste.
- All purpose flour for rolling.
How to make:
- Thaw the pastry sheet for about 40mts at room temperature.
- Meanwhile,hard boil the eggs for 8mts.
- In a pan add some oil,fry the curry leaves and cumin powder.Immediately add the onions and fry till golden brown.
- Add adequate salt to taste
- Add Garam masala,Chilly powder,star anise seeds,and astefotida and fry well.
- Add the tomatoes and cook till done.
- Remove the folds of the pastry sheet.
- Sprinkle some all purpose flour and roll the sheet out a little lightly(dont make it too thin)
- Cut into 6 squares.
- Pre heat the oven to 400F
- In each square of the pastry sheet ,place 1tbsp of cooled masala and half a hard boiled egg with the yolk facing the masala.
- Fold over the opposites corner to overlap one another at the center.
- In a baking tray line with foil and place these puffs and lightly coat with whipped Egg coat with a brush.
- Cook in oven for nearly 30mts to get the glazed brown look .
- Let it cool down a little ,its ready to be served with a hot cup of Chai