Who does not know the vegetable Eggplant/aubergine/Brinjal/Baingan?I remember this children’s program I used to watch on television when I was a kid,it was called the “Baingan Raja” and they had this cute Big fat man who used to wear this aubergine colored costume with a green colored crown to signify how important he was in the vegetable kingdom.
Until then,I was also averse to eating this particular vegetable as in case of many people I know who continue to carry this dislike into the adult hood(one of them being my better-half),I discarded my dislike and embraced this veggie “Thanks to that particular show!”.
This is a very complex tasting vegetable and needs to be handled with care while cooking since it gets mashed quickly.It is best when it is roasted so its skin is charred and the flesh used to make the dish.In this particular dish,we have done the same .Though it sounds like procedure,it is not if paced correctly.
What you need:
- 1 Large Eggplant:Roasted as a whole.
- 1/2 Large shallot:finely chopped
- 1 1/2 Red Tomato:Finely chopped
- 1 Green chilly chopped
- 1″ ginger Chopped
- 1/2 tsp mustard seeds
- 1/2 jeers seeds
- 1/4 tsp hing
- 2 red chillies
- 3-4 curry leaves
- pinch of turmeric.
- 1/4 urad dal
- 1 tsp oil.
- Chopped coriander leaves for garnish.
- A squeeze of lime
The prime component of this dish is a charcoal cooked Whole Egg plant.Since we cannot find charcoal ,we can either fry the whole egg plant over the stove or bake it in oven.In either case we need to mark some spots n the eggplant with a knife and smear oil on the whole egg plant prior to frying it.
- If cooking eggplant on stove top,make sure you keep turning the egg plant around so that they dont burn out completely.
- If using oven,preheat the oven to 400F and then place this eggplant on baking tray lined with sheet and cook for nearly 60mts.
- Once t is cooked,take it out and let it cool.Remove the skin and scoop out the fleshy portion along with the juices.
- In a pan,add oil and splutter mustard.Then add some cumin seeds,and urad dal and fry.
- To this add Red chilly,hing and curry leaves and fry for 2mts.
- Add Onions and fry till they are translucent.
- Add turmeric mix well and add the chopped tomato and green chilly.Cook for about 10mts till Tomatoes are starting to disintegrate.
- Add the cooked Eggplant flesh and salt.Mix well.
- Bring to a quick boil and switch off.
- Give a single squeeze of lime.
- Garnish with chopped coriander leaves and serve with rice/roti.