As you might have guessed from the name,this recipe is a Keralite one and what it essentially means is Fried (Varutha) and Ground (Aracha)dish,which signifies the base of this dish which is Coconut ,coriander seeds,Red chilly & urad dal, dry-fried and ground .
This is a common paste which can be used to make any dish including vegetables ,lentils,chicken,Egg ,Meat or seafood as in this case and can be stored for long periods.
At our house,my Mom fishes out the most fleshy coconuts once they have been plucked out of the trees and ready to be sold ,and makes this ground paste in bulk so she can send it to us to ease our busy life cooking.It has a very good shelf life,if they have been made with the fresh coconut that have been fried nicely.Without any preservatives I have kept this for upto 2 years at a go,to do this one has to avoid using water while grinding the paste.
If you intend to use it fresh then using water while grinding is not an issue,which is what I have done in my recipe today.
What you need:
- 1 Cup Coconut
- 2 tsp coriander seeds
- 3-4 dried red chillies
- 1 tsp urad dal
- 3-4 Crabs
- 1 shallot sliced
- 1 tomato sliced
- 1 green chilly slit
- 1″ ginger chopped
- a spring of curry leaves
- In a pan,fry Coconut still it starts becoming brown.Keep moving your spatula around so that you get a even brown shading(take care to not let it fry too much ie avoid getting a dark brown).Transfer this to your mixie/grinder.
- Next fry the Coriander seeds till they start turning brown as well and emanates the fresh smell.Transfer this to mixie as well.
- Fry the Red chillies and then the urad dal ,add this to the mixie .
- Grind all of the above to a smooth paste.(for fresh paste add upto 3/4 up water to assist in grinding)
- Cook the crabs with onion,tomato,green chilly,ginger and salt,till the flesh in the crabs are solid and the onions have become translucent.
- Add the ground paste to the crabs ,mix well and bring to a boil
- Garnish with curry leaves ,serve hot with rice.