This is a very common time of side salad used with both roti and rice dishes in the north and was introduced by my friend Prema to me.Ever since I have become an ardent fan of the same and love to have this on a summer afternoon along with some pulao or parata.
When I crave for this I normally restore to the Haldiram’s Boondi packet which comes with the masala that needs to go into the yogurt to complete the dish.
This time I have done the whole thing from scratch..ahem…not the yogurt….I used store bought yogurt,the best would be to ferment the yogurt at home .
If you plan to make boondi at home ,try this recipe: https://iamcookingtoday.wordpress.com/2011/05/04/boondi/
- 2 Cup yogurt.
- 1 cup boondi
- 1/2 cup water.
- 6-7 mint leaves
- 1tbsp chopped coriander
- 1tsp sugar
- a pinch of cumin /Jeera powder
- a pinch of amchur /dry mango powder
- a pinch of chilly powder
- a pinch of garam masala
- a pinch of pepper powder
- Salt to taste
- Whisk yogurt and water with salt and sugar.
- Mash the mint leaves with mortar and pastel ,a little.
- Add this with chopped coriander leaves to the yogurt and refrigerate till you are ready to serve.
- If you like soft boondi ,you can do the following before refrigeration,else if u like crisp boondi-the following steps should be done just 5mts serving.
- Add the Boondi to the yogurt and mix well.
- Sprinkle the all the powders mentioned above.
- Garnish with a few crisp boondi and mint leaves.
- And its ready to eat!