My hubby’s family is from Udupi and this place is well known for its “Matti Gooll” which is a green and fleshier version of the common eggplant.Unlike normal Eggplant,which is oblong in shape,the Gooll is mostly round shaped and has patterns of light and dark green on its outer skin.
Various dishes are made of this and my particular ones are the Goola podi(fritter) and Goola bhajji/gojju.The Gojju is easily made and needs very less oil to make.As it is hard to find gool is places beyond Udupi,I resorted to using eggplant to make the same dish.
Here is the recipe for the same.
What you need:
- 1 Large Egg plant
- 1/2 onion finely chopped
- 1 green chilly
- Tamarind pulp -1/2 tsp
- salt to taste
- 1/2 tsp oil for garnish.
- Fry the whole eggplant on stove/or bake in oven,so that the skin can be easily removed to get a cooked flesh.(Normally the char-cooked eggplant is used for this preparation).Refer here to bake the eggplantbaked-baingan-curryeggplant-tomato-side/
- Remove the flesh from its skin and move it to a mixing bowl.
- Using mortar pastel ,grind the chilly with little salt .Mix this with oil,and tamarind paste.
- To this add the Eggplant flesh and mix well.
- Garnish with oil and serve as sides with rice.