This is a very famous savory of the GSB konkanis and goes by the name Buns aka Gubboos Roti.Its like a sweet puri made from a mix of banana with curd and is fermented over night for best results.Eaten for both breakfast and evening snack ,its got this banana aroma which makes it tempting any time of the day.
I borrowed the recipe from Geetha Baliga’s site ,the only difference I made to this was it took more of maida to get a strong dough .
Here is my measurement:
- Approx 3-3.5 Measuring cups full of Maida/All purpose flour
- 1/4 cup yogurt
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1 Large Full ripe banana
- 1 tsp Baking Soda
- pinch of salt
- Mash the banana completely in Curd along with salt,sugar and Baking soda.
- Add approx 3cups of the flour and start mixing.
- If the dough it not dry enough(it should not be goey and should be just a little more lighter consistency that the chapathi dough,more like a pizza dough),then add the rest of the maida or more til u get the required strength.
- Knead the dough thoroughly.
- Keep it covered for 7-8hrs.I had made this in the morning,therefore I have kept it overnight for fermentation(unlike Pizza dough this dough does not dry up or grow in size.it will remain as is).
- Heat a frying pan with a lot of oil on medium flame.
- Take a small portion of a dough of the size of small potato,and roll it out into the size of ur palm.
- Fry this in oil ,you may have to slightly apply pressure to the center of the puri with the back of ur laddle so it puffs up completely.
- Fry to a brown color on both sides.
- For variation;one can throw in 1/2-3/4 tsp of Cumin seeds while kneeding the dough for a different smell .