I am a baking novice and am not too fond of it.But the art that comes out in baking ,has been enticing me of late ,and some of the blog I visit/refer also seem to make baking look like a “PIECE OF CAKE”.I was particularly impressed by the Zebra cake when I saw it in Farida’s A-Z Blog in my early days of Blog Surf and has been nagging me every time I post something on my blog.
When ever my hubby(Who has many sets of sweet tooth )feels like eating cake he chooses to buy it out, much to my dismay.This time I decided to try my hand at this Zebra cake,and followed the following recipe with a small difference .Instead of using Vanilla powder I used 1/2 tbsp Vanilla essence and since I did not have Dark chocolate I used nearly 3.5 tsp of Natural unsweetened Hersheys Chocolate powder.
It is being mentioned in the link below to follow certain specific types of cocoa powder,which may be a better idea if u are a perfectionist.Since this is my first attempt at this cake,I went with what I had and the results were not too bad as u can see.
- 4 eggs
- 1 Cup milk
- 1 Cup oil
- 1 Cup Granulated Cane Sugar
- 2 cups Maida/all purpose flour
- 1/2 tsp Vanilla essence
- 3.5 tsp Hershey’s Natural unsweetened cocoa powder
- Cooking spray
- 9″ Cake pan
- 3 tsp baking powder
- In a large bowl,beat and whisk one egg at a time to make it light and fluffy.(I did not have an electric mixer so I used the regular hand whisk).
- Now slowly add sugar and keep whisking it regularly till all the sugar is dissolved and the mixture looks silky.
- To this add oil,milk and vanilla essence and whisk till they are blended well.
- In a separate bowl,mix together baking powder and flour.Add this to the egg mixture slowly bit by bit,taking care to whisk the mixture slowly and blended the flour completely before adding more flour.Like this mix the entire flour into the egg mixture to get a smooth creamy paste.(Do not beat too hard ,just enough to have blended the flour without any lumps etc).
- Now make this into 2 portions in 2 separate bowls.
- To one portion add the cocoa powder and mix well.
- Pre heat the oven to 350F
- In a cake pan,lightly oil the surface with oil or cooking spray.
- Use 2 separate ladles,one for the cream mixture and one for the chocolate mixture.Each ladle should be able to hold 3-4tbsp of the mixture.
- Start with pouring a ladle full of chocolate mixture to the center of the pan.
- Over this add the cream mixture to the center of the pan,in such a way that the weight of this will start moving the chocolate mixture to the outside.
- Alternately pour Chocolate and cream mixture till you have used up your batter .
- Place this in the oven and bake for 40-45mts.Use a Fork or Toothpick to check tht the cake is completely done and they come out clean,if not bake some more.
- If it comes out clean ,remove it from Oven,ease the sides with a knife and empty it upside down into a plate and then turn it over the right away .
- Cut it and serve :).