Phenori is one of those gsb sweet that may be similar to many other south Indian sweet in taste,but not at all similar to the method of making it.Before I got married into a family from udupi the only place I knew can give me phenori was my mom,later I found that most gsb’s dont make Phenori at home as there were many shops in Udupi /Mangalore that sold them as fresh as home made.Though I found them to be good,they had a draw back ,to keep them fresh they were mostly dipped in sugar powder and not in sugar syrup (which was what my mom used to make for us).The draw back in dipping in sugar syrup was that it would make this crisp dish soft as time passes by .Neverthless to eat fresh, the one dipped in sugar will be the best choice.
Today I am posting the recipe for Phenori mentored by my MOM and MIL ,and choosing Sugar powder dipping over syrup since I wanted the crispness to remain intact till they were over.
- 1 Cup-Maida/all purpose flour.
- 1 tsp oil
- 1/4 cup water
- 1 Cup sugar powder
- 3/4 tsp cardamom powder.
- Ghee for smearing
- Oil for frying
- Mix item1-3 and knead to make a stiff dough and set aside for 30mts.
- Make 5 portions of this dough.
- Using a roller pin spread this out to make thin chapatis of the size of a small plate.
- Now take the first chapathi ,place it on the counter.
- Apply Ghee all over it on one side and spread maida lightly.
- Place the next one aout 4-5 inches from the edge of the first one,so as the second one will cover 2-3 of the first chapathi.
- Apply Ghee over the second one and then maida.
- Place the third one about 4-5 inches off the edge of the second one,so on and so forth to make ti look like caterpillar.
- Once all the five are placed one over other,roll the first chapathi’s edge inwards and roll it till it reaches the last one out its outer edge.
- Now this will be in the shape of a sausage.
- Slice it into 10 portions along its length.
- Lightly roll out each of these portions to about the size of your palm.
- In a different bowl mix the sugar and cardamom powder and keep ready for dipping.
- In a pan,heat some oil(it should not be very hot)-medium heat.
- Now place one of them in the oil and toss a little oil over it,so that the phenoris begin to puff up(this is when u shud see the layers begins to separate).
- Since the oil is not every hot,move the phenori around till they fry to golden color also flip over to the other side so they are eveny fried.
- Each phenori can take upto 2mts to fry based on the heat of the oil(Take care that the phenoris dont become brown,they should be golden to light brown color).
- Take out of oil.cool for 30secs.
- Dip in Sugar & cardamom powder mix.
- Serve once cooled.