Laddo,is an Indian term which signifies the Spherical shape of the item and the sweet taste of the same.As the name signifies this particular item is a sweet made out of a simple combination of whole wheat flour and sugar bound together into a tight ball.The experts of this sweet can make it to perfection,which would essentially mean that using much less of the clarified butter they would be able to bind the mix into such a delicate ball that one would find the ball bursting the moments it hits the palate.
I am no expert in this dish and have been heavily guided by my MIL and she I could say with no qualms is an EXPERT in this.Here is what I had been instructed to do and well,the outcome is before you if not physically !
- 1 Cup of Whole Wheat Flour(I used King Arthur)
- 3/4 cup Powdered Sugar
- 6-7 Cardamom powdered Fine
- Handful of raisins and badams
- 1/2 cup Clarified butter/Ghee
- In about 1 tbsp butter fry the dry fruits till golden brown.
- Remove from flame and add the rest of the ghee and fry the Wheat flour in it till they start emanating smell(do this on medium flame so they dont burn up ,it will become a shade of brown in 5mts)
- Take out from flame and let it cool and bit.
- When still warm add the powdered sugar ,cardamom powder ,raisins and badam.
- After it cools down(not cold),start taking a handful of the mix and press hard to make it into a ball.
- for most first amateurs this is a herculean task which can be got a around by adding a dribble or 2 of ghee into the part portion of the mixture to give it the binding.Do this in portions so you can make the balls/ladoos easily.