Ubbati/Ubbata/Pooranpoli is another sweet dish of the konkan coast which is made more like a parata ie a flat bread with stuffing in it.The stuffings are made either out of the Chana dal&Jaggery or Coconut & Sugar ,depending on which the name would differ from former to latter.
This time for the Gowri Pooja,I did not have my aunt to help me with the sweet dish preparation like I have always had for the last decade and was racking my little brain on what I should make to apeace the Lord Ganesha and Goddess Parvathi as well as the local LORD my hubby.My mom coaxed me into making Ubbati and well am I glad she did!!! I am now a proud novice of making the traditional UBBATI!
- 1 cup Chana Dal
- 2 Cup Jaggery
- 5-6 cardamom finely powdered
- 1 1/2 cup All purpose flour
- 1/2 tsp Turmeric powder.
- 2 tsp canola oil
- In adequate amount of water put haldi and all purpose flour and make dough like one would make for pizza ,knead it till it is soft and strechy.To this add oil(2tsp) and knead again to make it more strechy.Set aside.This is the outer dough.
- Pressure cook Chana dal to a pt where it splits when pressing between fingures but not yet mushy and pasty.
- Drain water and set the dal aside.
- In a pan add the jaggery and chana dal and fry till the nice aroma and the mix is not too water(semi liquidy).
- Take it off and let it cool.There after put it in a gridner/blender and make a smooth paste out of it(since this is the stuffing it should not be gooey/pasty or too dry since we would need to make balls out of it).
- Now make 30 equal portions of the outer dough and the inner stuffing.
- Using a roller pin roll out each of the outer dough into palm sized round ,place the stuffing in it and bring the edges to a single pt inthe center ,to tightly cover the stuffing.
- The edges should be then squeezed together and pressed into the center.
- Flatten in out between your two palms and lightly using the rolling pin roll it out again into the size of a saucer.
- On a girdle,fry the above for about 1mt on each side or till about they are fried on either side.
- Remove it on to a plate and let it cool down before putting into a container.
- For serving place a few drops of clarified ghee and sugar powder in the center of each of Ubbati ,roll it up and eat 😛