Dahi Puri is another street side chat specialty,which my hubby & K mayi used to eat at the Kolkotta Chat center in JB nagar.Which coincidentally was also one of the chat item my daughter preferred to eat over the usual favourite Paani Puri.Today I had made some sev and puri with the intention of serving paani puri to my better half for the snack ,but admist his work and calls it was way too late to serve the snack.That is when I thought of putting together some more things and making it a little bit more qualified to be a dinner item and wat I ended up was with Dahi Puri.Most Indians would know wat dahi puri is,for those who dont; this s a yogurt based snack item placed in crisy cups with some sweet and sour sauce and garnished with cilantro and onion.
You can also find the recipe to make Puri’s here ->https://iamcookingtoday.wordpress.com/2010/11/14/paani-puri/
Here is my method:
For the Sweet/sour sauce aka Chutney(unlike most ppl I make one single chutney)
- Fist full of Jaggery
- 4-5 dates
- 2 green chilly
- handful Coriander leaves
- Small ball of tamarind
- salt to taste.
- 1/2 cup water.
- 5-6 Puris(chat type)
- handful of Sev
- 1/2 onion finely chopped
- chopped coriander leaves
- 1/4 cup store bought yogurt mixed with 1/4 cup water with little salt.
- paprika powder-a pinch
- Grind together items 1 to 6 of the chutney items in a blender with 2-3 tbsp of water.Remove into a vessel put the water mentioned in the list and bring to a boil.Let it cool down in refrigerator before use.
- In a plate,place the puris ,into which put the above mentioned yogurt.
- Top it with handful of sev,then chopped onion,the above prepared chutney.
- Add the rest of the yogurt on it,sprinkle little chilly powder and garnish with coriander before serving.
- Serve immediately.