The most important pre-requisite for making sev is to have the machine to make this.I imported this from http://meenakshiagrisup.com/sevmachine.html but I am pretty sure it should be available in your local indian store.Though it would be good if you have the internal disc which has a lots of smaller holes(which I did not have),I used the densest one that was available with the machine.
- 1 Cup Gram flour
- 1 Green chilly
- 1/2 tsp oil
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/4 cup water.
- Grind chilly with little water about 2 tbsp and strain to get just the water without any pieces in it.Set is aside.
- Pass the flour through a sieve to avoid lumps in the batter
- To the flour add the chilly water,salt,oil and plain water and mix it well.
- The consistency of the batter should be thicker than the regular Dosa batter but not as lumpy as the chapathi batter as it wont come our of the sev machine on pressing.
- Set aside for 30mts.
- In a wok,heat oil on medium and when it is hot enough.Add the batter into the sev machine and presses it so the batter comes out from the holes on the other end.make sure this falls into the oil .
- Also make sure that you keep moving the machine around the oil when you do this to avoid lumping of the sev.It takes split second for the sev to fry.
- ie for about 10sec let it fry on onside and them flip the whole thing to the other side for another 5secs.
- Take out immediately.
- ps:I normally make concentric circles of the batter falling out of the sev machine into the oil so they are easy to flip and once they are out of the oil I separate them as needed.