Available in most restaurants in Mangalore,this snack is something that reminds a foodie typically of a mangalore visit.They are also available in the name of Mangalore Bonda in “UDUPI” restaurants outside of Mangalore.In GSB homes these are most commonly referred to as Goli Baje(Going by the shape) and is most typically made out of left over Dosa batter.If none is available then curd is used for the fermentation effect.The recipe here is based on the typical goli baje that was made at my mom’s place-ie out of left over idli batter.
What you need:
- 2 Cups of Idli Batter(if not available replace with 2-3 tbsp of Sour curd).
- 1 cup of All purpose flour
- 2tbsp Gram flour
- 1/2 Green chilly chopped
- 1/4 tsp ginger chopped
- 1/4 tsp Jeera
- a pinch of Baking soda
- Salt to taste.
- 1 1/2 tsp of Sugar
- Oil for frying.
- Mix item 1-9 without water(this is assuming you are using medium consistency dosa batter.If the batter is to watery use more of Garam and all purpose flour).
- Whip it up with egg beater.
- In a frying pan,heat oil on medium heat.
- Take spoon ful of batter and drop it in oil into droplet shape.(be careful to not touch the oil to ur fingre tips).
- when they are brown on its base,flip around.
- Fry evenly,remove into tissue paper.
- Serve with chutney.