This is my second attempt at making Rasgulla at home and it has been success.
A few things I I learned from the first failed attempt was that,bringing Milk to a boil require all attention ,avoiding which can lead to a very burnt rasgulla.The second leasson I learned from the first attempt was also that,it takes like 1hr for the water to drain out of the solid portion of the curdled milk and also that apart from the “bag hanging” method,placing heavy weight on the same removes all the excess water much better.
Though making sweets is not my forte,I do like to understand and correct my mistakes as best I can.There fore this second effort took more patience and focus than the first one and I am happy ;-).
- 1 Litre whole milk
- 1tsp vinegar
- muslin cloth
- 1tbsp Semolina
- 1 Cup Sugar
- 3 cups water.
- 1tsp cardamom powder
- In a thick bottomed pan put the milk and bring to a rapid boil.Be sure you stand next to it and swirl it around till it comes to a boil
- Take it off heat and add lemon and vinegar.
- Let it cool down,whilst the Paneer(the heavy portion of milk) coagulates and leaves behind clear water.
- Pour this into a muslin cloth,so the water drain out.Tie the muslin cloth and let some cool water run over it to remove smell of lemon/vinegar.
- Tie this pouch over the tap so the excess water drips of -let this go on for 1/2hour or so.
- Then take the muslin bag of Paneer and place it on a plate.over which you should keep heavy stuff…I jkept my box of Urad dal ;-)-For 1/2 hour.
- Now take the nicely packed panner from the muslin cover and add 1tbsp of semolina and kneed it lightly for about 10mts,till it feels soft,light and not crumbly-to test this make balls of this dough,it should become a smooth ball.
- Make 25-27 such balls.
- Mean while in a thick bottomed vessel(i used pressure cooker) put the sugar and water bring to a boil.
- In this add the paneer balls and cook under cover on medium flame for about 40-50mts or till you see that it is cooked(to check this take one rasgulla out of the vessel and press it,if liquid oozes out and after some time the ball regains its shape its ready).
- take off heat add Rose water preferably .I did not have it so i added 1tsp fine cardamom powder.
- Let it cool then serve;-)