There were days many decades ago when it was ritual for my mom to make Chicken for sunday meal.My mom was typically a vegetarian turned into a carnivores by virtue of her marriage.It was during her initial years that she learned to cook a lot of non veg and also eat it.One such item was this chicken curry.
Mom would never eat the chicken curry she made.She would spend the whole morning cleaning and cooking the curry only to eat plain rice with some curd or some left over curry.Then I saw the pattern ,when she would make chicken she would not eat,she would only eat if it was made by some one other than her.Over the years my dad stopped getting un cooked chicken home for the same reason,and the tradition of making this particular dish was lost.
Today as the past flooded back to me for some reason,I decided to give it a try from the long lost memories of this curry on my taste bud.Its a pretty simple curry made flavorful by the spices and the fresh cilantro leaves.
I had some pre marinated chicken in my refrigerator which I had marinated in lime,salt,chillypowder,turmeric and corriander powder.
- 1 Large Onion
- 1 tomato
- about 20 pieces of chicken breast.
- 1 cup cilantro
- 2 Green chillies
- 5-6 garlic pods
- 1.5″ Ginger
- 1/2 tsp Jeera powder
- 1 tsp coriander powder
- 1 tsp chilly powder.
- 1/2 turmeric powder.
- 1/2 lemon
- 1 tbsp yogurt.
- 2 bayleaves
- 4-5 cloves
- 2 cardamom
- 1/2 tsp Anise seeds(perinjeerakam)
- 1 star anise.
- 1/2 cinnamon stick
- Marinate washed and cut chicken breast with chilly powder,turmeric powder,lime,coriander powder.
- Finely chop the onions and tomato.
- Grind 3/4 of the onion,green chilly,garlic,ginger,coriander/cilantro leaves and anise seeds/perinjeerakam into fine paste.
- In a thick pan,add some oil and fry the spices-cloves,cardamom,bay leaves,star anise,cinnamon stick.
- Saute onion ,till its translucent.
- To this add the ground paste and fry for 4-5mts,till its water is gone.
- Add Jeera powder and 1/4 tsp Turmeric powder.Fry for 2-3mts.
- Add tomato and cook for 2-3mts.
- Add Yogurt mix well and cook for 5mts.
- Add chicken and mix well ,cook on medium flame for 5-10mts.
- Add about 3 cups water and adjust the salt as required,
- Let it simmer and cook for the next 30-40mts.
- Once the chicken is sufficiently cooked take off the stove.
- below is the acutual color of the curry.