Okra is not a favourite vegetable in my household,but I do like this sweetish vegetable which if not cooked patiently can turn a little slimy(largest reason for it being an underdog inmy house hold).When i was a child I did not like okra too much,but then one summer that I spent at my aunts place was the eye opener for me.Her MIL and she made it a task to teach me to eat Okra.Her MIL told me stories of how the Okra can sharpen the mathematic portion of the brain and my aunt on how nice one can turn the okra into a dish.She stuffed okra and made this nice punabi dish which was my turning point.From then on okra has been on my eatable veggie.
We do get Okra here in our local stores,but unlike the ones available back home,they are very small just about the size of a Lady’s finger-thats when i understood why it was called so.Back home the Okra we get are so big ,I used to wonder if the Ladies those days were Ogre like :P.These tiny little okra need not be even cut to make a dish out of,one just needs to chop of the stalky head and get it cooking.This with the GSB style masaga stuffed into it and slow shallow frying is what this dish is all about.
- 20 finger sized okra
- 1/2 cup coconut grating.
- dime sized tamarind
- 4-5 dried fried red chillies
- 1/2 tsp coriander seeds
- 1/4 onion finely chopped
- 1/4 onion corsely chopped
- oil for frying
- salt to taste
- Wash and pat dry the okra.Cut of the stalky head and cut legthwise from the head towards the tip stopping 2cm above the tip.
- Grind together,coconut,red chilly,tamarind and coriander into smooth paste.
- Take it out and mix with salt and fine chopped onion.
- Fill this into the 2 halfs of the okra.
- In pan add some oil,fry the coarse onion till its wilted.Place the stuffed okra on the onions and the excess masala on top.
- Cook under cover for about 20mts,by occasionally moving it around so as to get uniform frying.Add 2-3 tbsp of water if needed.