Those most of the GSB dishes require generous amount of coconut,there are some Konkani recipes which can be made with or without coconut.Bendi is one such gravy based dish which can be made with coconut base or the coco nut can be totally avoided .The curry was fondly called Gunpowder by my maternal grandfather as it is made from ground Paprika and tamarind paste.Since over the years my heat tolerance has been compromised,I have modified it to my liking and is as follows.
- 1.5 cups of White beans =Washed and soaked for 1/2 hr and cooked till done
- 4-5 Red Dried chilly-Fried lightly in oil till it turns brown and puffs up.
- 1 tomato
- 1 coin sized tamarind.
- Salt to taste
- Garlic 5-6 pods-crushed lightly
- oil for seasoning.
- Grind together tomato,red chilly and tamarind to a smooth paste.
- Add this with salt to the cooked white beans and bring to a boil.
- Add water to get required consistency and simmer.
- In a pan prepare seasoning by heating oil and frying the garlic to a light brown outer coating ie of medium for about 1mt.
- Add this to the above curry.
- The dish is ready to serve with rice,