From this forum that I am a part of I found this reference to many Parsi dishes which were an immense motivation for me to try something that was referred to as Shrimp Patio . I then referred the recipe mentioned by an author in the forum and also quite some web sites for the recipe for the same and found the common ingredients in all of those recipes to come up with my version of prawn pathia.Here it goes.
- 1 lb Washed/cleaned prawns.
- 1 Large Onion Chopped
- 1.5 tomatoes chopped
- 2 Cloves of garlic.
- 1 tsp Jaggery
- 1 tsp Tamarind paste.
- 1/2 tsp chilly powder.
- 1/2 cumin powder
- 3/4 Corriander powder.
- 1/2 turmeric powder
- 1/4 Garam masala powder
- 2-3 tbsp Coriander leaves-chopped.
- 1/2 tsp sugar.
- Wash and de-verin the shrimp.
- In a pan heat about 1.5 tsp of oil and fry to golden brown chopped onion and garlic.
- When they are translucent,add all the powders except Garam masala.Fry for 3-4 mts without it burning.
- Add tomatoes and fry till it leaves oil and the onions start going mushy.(you wont need any water as the tomatoes will provide it).
- Make a paste of Tamarind and Jaggery and add this to the onion masala.Cook till you are satisfied with the mushy masala.
- Add salt, sugar,Corriander leaves and garam masala and mix.
- Now add Shrimp and mix so as to cover the prawns with the masala.Cook for 7-8mts till the shrimp is ‘just done’.
- Garnish with chopped coriander.
- Serve with rice.