Makes about 20 Masala Dosa.
Dosa is the indian Pancake and is made mainly of rice and split black gram,the Masala Dosa is essentially a stuffed pancake or more like a wrap with the filling mostly made of Potato and Onion and in some version also may carry Chutney along with the filling served with a side of Garlic chutney and Sambar(curry).Here is a simpler form of the masala dosa with just the potato filling.Like most indian pancakes,the batter of the dosa has to be fermented overnight and is the main reason why this needs to be preplanned .
Ingredients(20 masala dosa).
For the Dosa:
- 3/4 cup Urad dal(husked and split black gram).
- 2 cups sona masoori rice
- a fist ful of Toor dal(split yellow dal)
For the filling:
- 2 potatoes.
- 1/2 large onion
- 1 green chilly
- 4-5 curry leaves
- 1/2 tsp Turmeric powder
- 1/2 tsp mustard seeds
- 1/4 cup water.
For the Chutney:
- 3/4 cup coconut grating
- 1 green chilly
- 1 garlic pod
For the dosa:
- Wash rice,urad dal and toor dal and soak for atleast 4hrs.
- Then grind it to smooth batter with a cup of water(add the water when you feel that ur grinder needs water to turn the batter).I usually run this in 2 batches as the capacity of the grinder does not handle the whole load to make into smooth batter.
- Take out the batter add about 1/2cup water and keep it to ferment over night.
- In the morning add salt to taste and rest of the water,add water in portions so that the consistency of the batter is not too flowy but just thick enough to not flow on the pan but let you give the consistency to smear it around.
- Prepare the Potato filling and the coconut chutney before making the dosa(see below for steps).
- On a stove,place flat pan preferably non stick.Let is heat up on medium flame(7 on a knob of 1-10).
- Place a ladle full of batter on the centre of the pan and with the back of the ladle,smear batter in concentric round circles to spread it out to the entire circumference of the pan.
- Dribble oil over the edge of the dosa,and place a 2″ line of potato filling as a diameter of the circle.
- When you see that certain areas of the dosa are starting to turn golden brown,fold one half of the dosa over the other,or fold 1/3 of the dosa on each side of filling over to the filling to form a wrap like shown above.
- Serve hot with chutney.
To make Potato Filling:
- Skin & boil the potatoes , and make small cubes of the same.
- Chop the onions into small cubes.
- In a hot pan,add some oil and temper mustard,chopped green chilly and curry leaves.
- In this add the chopped onion and fry till translucent.To this add turmeric and salt and fry for 2-3mts .
- Add Potato cubes and adjust the salt,if it is too dry and is not mixing add about 2-3tbsp of water.
- Mix properly bring to a boil and set it aside.
- Grind together coco nut grating,salt,tamarind,green chilly and garlic pod into smooth paste with as little water as possible.
- Take out and add about a 1/2-3/4 cup of water to make it little bit gravy.
- Serve with Dosa.