Makes up to 12 large one.
This is a very rich savory item that you find in most bakerys in Kannur.They are made of Cashew,egg and sugar which makes it a very expensive item in the bakery as well and works to indulge once in a Blue Moon ;-).
The recipe belongs to my moms friend ,which my mom shared with me before she could try on her own.I got the proportion from mom,but modified it to my own liking.
- 1 Whole Egg White.
- 1.5 Cups Sugar
- 3/4 cup Cashew -Each cashew I broke down to 4 peices.
- 1/4 tsp Lemon juice
- 1/4 tsp Vanilla essence.
- Set the Oven for preheating to 350F.Most important part of this recipe is to prepare the mix whilst the oven is pre heating.If you pre mix the ingredients and wait for the oven to heat the macaroon may not raise.
- In a bowl put egg white and whisk till its frothy.To this add sugar bit by bit while you keep beating the mixture.
- At one pt the mixture will become a milky white but flowy,so keep adding sugar so that it gets little harder to whisk but not too hard.I must have whisked for about 10-15mts(taking breaks it between to add sugar).
- To this add Vanilla essense and lemon juice and mix well.
- By this time the oven will be ready,now add Cashew in the mixture.
- On an oven tray lay butter sheet and place lumps of mixture.Make sure there is enuf space in between as during the baking process the macaroons will grow (my scoop was about a size of big lemon)
- Bake for 15mts at 350F and for 10mts at 330F.
- Let it cool for 20-30mts before you can bite into it.