This is another of those typical Amchi breakfast that I used to run away from when I was a kid.How the undeveloped brain translates this yummy breakfast dish into an enemy would remain a mystery to me!!!Thank goodness for me,my brain did develop and many years hence now I have loved eating this incredibly soft whole grain item for breakfast.
The most important requirement to make this is the pan that allows you to make round pancakes.In Amchi we call it Appe Kaili , . In the US market and else where I believe one can find it in the name of Ebleskiver refer link
I have gotten mine form my kitchen back in India to make the amchi Appe.
- 2 cups of raw rice.
- 1 cup black gram dal/urad
- 1/2 onion chopped
- 1 tbsp ginger chopped
- 1 tsp chilly chopped
- salt to taste
- oil for frying.
- Wash and soak rice and Urad dal together for 2-3 hours.
- Drain and grind to smooth paste with not more than 1 cup of water,
- Remove the ground mix and ferment it over night with salt.
- In the morning,adjust the water .The batter should not be watery but like a thick pancake mix.
- add chopped onion,ginger and chillies.
- Heat the pan on medium;
- Add /14 tsp of oil in each depression of the pan,
- put batter in each depression to fill it.
- Cook under cover for 2-3mts.
- Flip it around and cook for 1/2 mt.
- Remove and serve hot with chutney.