Another of simple Konkani curries to go with rice.Normally my mom prefers to use Tender green Mango slices during its season for the sour taste,and when not in season one goes with tamarind instead.The Green Mango gives this dish a very nice Mango Aroma with goes nice with the sweet smelling mussels.
- Mussles 30-40 cooked,cleaned and shelled.
- 1 cup coconut grating
- 4-5 dried fried read chillies
- Tamarind(I used about 2 small moth ball sized-it turned out a little sour the way I like it).
- 1 tsp coconut oil for seasoning
- 1/2 tsp hing/astefotida for seasoning
- Prepare the mussels the way it works for you.In my home it is washed,then pried open ,scooped out of shell and then cooked with salt.Frozen ,I get always pre cooked so all I need is to pry open the shell and remove the mussels from Shell.Most often we can find a tuft of fiber lodged at the inner center of the mussles,this needs to be removed as it is indigestible.I save the water from the microwaved contents of the frozen mussels,but throw away the sediments.
- Grind together the coconut,chilly and tamarind with 1/2 cup water into a smooth paste.
- Bring to a boil the mussels and its ,water add the ground paste and bring to a quick boil.
- Add salt to taste,hing and mix well.
- Bring to a slow boil and switch off the stove.
- Dribble coconut oil and let the curry settle.
- Serve with rice.