I tried this recipe for my DH as he is a lover of potatoes and he loved it! I adjusted the ingredients to meet my palate as below:
Changes highlighted as below :
- 2 potatoes-skinned,boiled and mashed
- 3/4 tsp mustard
- 1/4 tsp hing
- 1/4 tsp turmeric
- 1/2 jalapeno
- 1 tbsp cilantro leaf
- 5-6 curry leaves
- 1/4 spicy chilly powder for potatoes
- 1 cup gram flour
- 1/2 coin sized tamarind:made into pulp
- 1/4 tsp Chilly powder for Gram flour coating
- Pinch baking soda
- Salt to taste
- Microcook the potatoes for 12mts with adequate amount of water.
- Throw away the water and mash with turmeric powder and salt to taste.
- In a wok,heat oil,splutter mustard and fry hing.
- Add curry leaves and chopped green chilly and fry
- Add this to the mashed potato along with red chilly powder.
- Mix well.
- Heat a large wok with lots of oil for deep frying.
- Meanwhile prepare the batter with Gram flour,salt,tamarind paste,chilly powder and baking soda and 1/2 cup water.Mix well.
- Make a ball of mashed potato,coat it in gram flour mix by rolling the mashed potato ball in the batter.
- Drop it in hot oil and fry on medium heat for 3-4 mts,or till the outer cover in golden brown.
- Serve hot with ketchup or green chutney.
3.made besan batter with my own measurement and used a little bit of baking soda to get a crispier outer covering.