Amongst so many recipes my mom has tried and bested,the Prawn malai curry has a very special place.One of those dishes ,which is a must every time I head back home,this dish is a little misleading in its name.
“Malai” means cream from all forms of milk in Indian Languages,but in most places it is used in conjuction with Cows milk cream in Indian dishes,there fore the word malai here is a misnomer.why ??Instead of using cows milk to get the cream effect,this dish uses Coconut Milk.When cooked with fresh coconut milk ,it splits to give the cream(broken milk) kind of texture which is a very significant part of this curry.
We often eat this with ghee rice and it is more of a sweet and spicy dish and goes is not much of a companion for the bread.Its very rich because of its content and well not a diet dish!!
- 1.5 lb Shrimp-Shelled,deviened,cleaned
- 1 Can Coconut milk
- 1.5 large onion-Finely chopped
- 2 Large tomato finely chopped
- 1 tbsp Ginger paste
- 1tbsp Garlic paste
- 1/4 tsp Very spicy chilly powder(you can use one you have based on the pungency).
- 1/2 tsp sugar.
- 1 tbsp Cilantro leaf
- Oil for frying
- Salt for taste.
- Pressure cooker(optional).
- Wash and marinate the shrimp for 30mts with salt,chilly powder and turmeric powder.
- In a pressure cooker put some oil and fry the chopped onion for 4-5mts,lightly.
- To this add the ginger and garlic paste,and fry for a couple of mts.
- Add Chilly powder,fry for 4-5mts.
- Add the tomatoes,and fry till they are partially cooked(3-4mts)
- Add the shrimp,and salt and mix lightly,till they are partially cooked
- Add the thick coconut milk and bring to a boil.
- (if using fresh coconut milk one can add a little bit a thin coconut milk at this juncture).Add 1 cup of water.
- Add the sugar,close the pressure cooker with lid with weights and let it cook on medium for one whistle.
- Wait for the pressure to go off.
- Open.At this point you should see the milk broken into nice soft clusters(mostly when using fresh coconut milk),the absence/presence of these are no indication of the taste of the dish ;-).
- Check for taste.Adjust the thickness of the gravy to your liking &tenderness of prawns-(I prefer to cook the prawns a little more so I adjust the gravy consistency and let it cook for 5-10mts based on size of the prawns).
- Garnish with fresh cut cilantro.
- Serve hot :).