An all time but seasonal breakfast among the GSb folks are the Tender Cashew(Bibbo) Upkari and Poori.Seasonal because,in the few months of March-June every year we find fresh tender Cashews in market which is the main ingredient of this combination.Since Cashews as such and in particular the tender Cashew are expensive seasonal item,this breakfast is very special among st us.
The Tender Cashew upkari is also made with gerkin added,and served during lunch.
When Tender Cashews are not available ,ie during off season months,the Dried Skin on Cashews are available in select stores,namely the Mangalore Stores ,which can also be used to make the same.
- 300 gms Dried Tender Cashews
- 2 Green chillies
- 2-3tbsp Fresh grated Coconut
- 1 tsp mustard
- 1 spring of Curry leaves
- Salt to taste
- 1 tsp sugar
- 1/2 potato cut into cubes
- Boil 5-6 cups of water,take off the burner and soak the cashew in the hot water for about an hour.
- Remove the skin of the cashews and split each one in half.
- In a small pressure cooker ,heat 1 tsp of oil.
- Splutter Mustard and add curry leaves and green chillies in the oil and fry.
- Add the Cashews,3/4 tsp salt and sugar ,nearly 3/4 cup water and the potatoes.
- Cook under cover,over high for 2 whistles.
- Switch off the stove.
- After 10mts remove the pressure cooker lid,add coconut gratings and check the taste for salt.
- Add salt if necessary and check the moisture content.
- If there is little or no water,add some or if more water-cook it on medium flame till its is sticky but not watery,
- Take of the stove.
- Serve with puris.