Something my “mamama” ie my maternal grandmother makes atleast once a month even to date.I love these simple yet tasty sweet one can make .
Chana pita khadi
- 1 Cup Besan/Gram flour.
- 1 cup Ghee/clarified butter
- 1 glass milk
- 1 3/4 glass sugar
- 1/4 cup almond crumbs
- Thin baking tray/plate with edge.
- Butter sheet/wax paper.
- In a thick bottomed saute pan mildly heat ghee.
- To this add Besan ,mix and fry for up to 2 mts.(At this stage it will be liquid-ish and a slight brown tinge to the original flour color).
- Take this off the heat/burner .place down and add the sugar and mix well.
- On low to medium low heat place the wok again,mix well for 10 secs,add the milk and almonds whilst stirring.
- Now on low medium heat keep sitrring the mixture,at first it will be very liquidish and will be frothing/bubbling.
- After about 10mts the number of bubbles will reduce and there will be few larger bubbles.
- Keep sitrring on low heat,so that you do not burn the bottom of ur pan.
- After about 10mts from the above pt,the bubbles would have reduced to 10% from the original and the mixture will be of the consistency of chewey caramel chocolate.(at this pt you can test it by place a small drop on a plate.it will start solidifying ,still a little chewy but harder).
- At this pt take it out of the stove,in a thin baking pan lined with butter paper.Pour the mix immediately and spread it.
- PS: spread may be a little tricky as it needs to be done immediately as it gets cooler it gets harder.the key to this is to use a bowl smeared with some ghee on this flat side and use it to flatten /evenly spread the mixture.
- Let it cool for 2 mts,when its hot u need to place the incision,since it tends to get brittle and crumples when cooler and cutting becomes messier.
- I used the pizza cutter to make vertical and horizontal incision so I can get even pieces.
- Let it cool completely before peeling it off the butter sheet.