A New year delicacy amongst the GSB,is actually a savoury item which is accompanied by a sweet dish called the Madgane.
“Madgane” is a sweet dish made out of Chana Dal ie Bengal Gram Pulse,cooked in a Sweet Jaggery Mixture to which coconut milk is also added to make it into a sweet dessert with a few more other spices to make it more interesting. Madgane as such can be had as is,but Rasa odo is specifically had with Madgane and none other ,during the New year Festivities as a GSB household. New Year for GSB how ever do not fall on Jan 1st of the Julian Calendar,but the first day of the Chaitra Masa(chaitra month) of the Luni Solar Hindu Calendar and falls mostly in and around End of March to 2 week of April every year.
Rasa Odo on the other hand ,is a fried item mostly made of Rice ,which can be eaten as it is,but works best with Madgane.
- Soak 1cup Rice for 1hr,
- Wash and grind it with 2 tbsp Coconut gratings with as much less water as possible into a fine paste.
- On your kitchen counter spread out a large muslin cloth
- Pour the ground batter on the muslin cloth,the muslin cloth will start pulling out the excess water if you let it on for some time,but make sure u dont let the dough dry out in which case move it into a bowl.
- PS:If you find our batter is too runny,take this out into a bowl and mix some all purpose flour till you find it has come to a pizza dough consistency.
- Take small round ball of the dough and place a few at a distance of about 4 inches from each other,Also place a small bowl of water to dip your fingers on the side.
- Heat a pan full of frying oil of your choice.
- Meanwhile ,dip the the tip of your ring ,middle and index finger,into water and spread out the little balls into flat round about the size of lime.
- leave it on the cloth if the oil is not hot enough,but not too long as it dries out.
- When the oil is hot enough,wet your fingers a little and transfer the flattens balls into oil making sure the flattened puris actually,slip from your finger into the oil and not the fingers touching the oil.
- See that after being in oil for a 20 secs the puris puff up,if they don’t little touch the center with your slotted ladle so it gets some hot oil on top.(most often this step will be required as the puris would puff on their own and flip over.)
- Fry either sides and remove it from oil onto a paper towel.
- PS:Make sure you do not make too make flatten ed balls and leave them out on the cloth to dry,the flattening and frying is a simultaneous process