Preparation time:20mts,cooking time:30mts,Serves:1-2
Today on this earth Lord sent a little Angel to bless our family.My little sister gave birth to a handsome Prince, and I was most excited to see his snap.
To celebarate this event,I decide to cook myself one the dish closest to my heart,Meen Molee.I remember from the childhood that dinner used to be a very family affair when we used to sit together at the dinning table eat and discuss the various gossips, with mom talking non stop.But with Television adding more channels and serials coming with new ways to break up families,the Dinner at the dining table became once in a while affair.Those days we did not mind it,since as kids ,TV was a nice break from the tedious hours trying to fill our heads from load off the books or the other way around and we would not be happy when mom would force us all to sit at the table.
Fish Molee was one such dish ,she would forces us to sit at the table with for what reason ,I dint know then ,I dont know now.But looking back,I relish those moments when we would savour the heavenly coconut milk drenched fish with those fresh baked Bakery bread from Kumar’s confectionary,hardly listening to mom talking but enjoying her voice.
To enjoy the birth of a newest family member,I have cooked this ,feeling all the more closer to my family back in God own country.
- 3-4 King Fish steak
- 1 ” ginger crushed.
- 1 Tomato sliced
- 2 green chillies
- 1/2 tsp turmeric pwder
- 1 spring of curry leaves.
- a bunch of finely chopped Coriander leaves
- 2tbsp Chilli powder
- Salt to taste.
- 1tsp lemon juice
- 1/4 tsp astefotida
- 1/2 tsp turmeric powder for marination
- 1-1/2 cup thin coconut milk.
- 1 cup thick coconut milk.
- Prepare King fish steaks after washing and rinsing with turmeric and Vinegar(optional usually used to remove the fishy smell from frozen).
- Marinate the fish with chilly powder,salt and hing/Ginger paste and lemon juie as mentioned above and marinate it for atleast 1hr for best results.
- Shallow fry the fish on a pan with little oil ,so both the sides are fried,add little oil so as to not keep the fish very dry and keep them aside.
- In the same pan,fry the Onion till translucent.
- Add the curry leaves,ginger,turmeric and greenchillies and saute for a couple of mts,till the ginger and curry leaves start to give a nice aroma.
- Add tomatoes and fry for a few mts,till they are semi cooked.
- Add the thin coconut milk first and bring to a boil.
- Now add the Thick coconut milk and adjust the salt to your taste,mix well and bring to a boil.
- Now add the fried fish pieces and bring to a simmer on medium flame,add 1/2 cup water if the gravy is too thick,it should be alittle lighter since when it cools down the fish peices tend to absorb the liquid and gravy becomes very thick.
- If in doubt you can hold on till it is simmering,switch off the flame,let the dish settle and adjust the wgravy based on your requirement.
- Granish with coriander leaves and serve with bread.
- note:For best result use fresh coconut milk but even the canned ones give good results.