Preparation time:30-40mts,Cooking time:10+10 mts,Serves:2-3
Momo a humble assortment of vegetable ,cooked in a flour covering over steam is my Dad’s current favorite item to eat outside home.Today is my Dad’s bday,there fore I have ventured for the very first time to cook this dish at home .A Very Happy Bday to you DAD!
My Encounter with MOMO:
When we went to the Tibetean settlement of Kushalnagar in Karnataka,we could see many street halkers sitting with a steaming pot and some plates ,which we found was to sell something called the Momos.Every street emanated the heavenly smell of this wonderful snack which I found was made of Vegetable and many other sorts of filling.A hungry me tried just a plate of it since we needed to head back to Bangalore in a hurry.This was my first tryst with THE MOMO’s.
It is a very healthy dish basically because there is not much oil involved and any combination of vegetables or meat can be added to filling.I am told that the filling generally involves Yak meat when it is made in the point of origin,but my experiment involve only vegetables.
I have had the Chicken and Egg version of the same in some Chinese restaurants in Bangalore which are good too and find that it closely resembles the Steamed Wonton/Dumplings of the Cantonese style food.
For the Momos Dough:
- 2 Cups All Purpose Flour/Maida
- 1 tbsp Oil
- 3/4 Cup Water.
- Salt to taste.
For the Veggie Filling:
- 1 Medium Shallot Finely Chopped.
- 1 Cup Cabbage Shredded.
- 1/2 cup Carrot Finely shredded(I used about 5 baby carrots).
- 3/4 Cup Shredded Cauliflower.
- 2 large garlic pods minced.
- 1/2 ” Ginger Minced
- 1 1/2 tsp Soy sauce.
- 1/2 tsp Chilli powder
- 1/2 tsp Pepper powder
- 1/2 tsp Garam Masala powder
- 1/2 cup chopped Cilantro
- Salt to taste.
For Sweet & Sour sauce:
- 1/3 cup Rice Vinegar
- 3 tsp Sugar
- 2 tbsp Tomato Ketchup
- 1tsp Soy sauce
- Corn starch if necessary.
Making Momo’s dough:
- Mix all water,salt,oil in a bowl
- Add the Flour and kneed well to make a ball.
Making Vegetable Filling:
- In a pan ,add some oil and Stir fry the chopped onion,Garlic,Ginger for 1 mt without browning it.
- Add the shredded cabbage,carrots and cauliflower and stir fry for 30secs.
- Add chilli powder ,pepper powder and tsp soy sauce and mix thoroughly.(adjust the chilli and pepper powder to your liking,the measurement I have given is a little hot)
- Add the chopped Cilantro
- Add Garam masala powder at this stage(do this if you like the Indian taste,if you prefer bland then stop at the step above).
- Add the 2nd tsp of soy sauce and mix throughly and remove from flame.
- Cool this mixture down by keeping refrigerator(Note:The mixture must be cool before making momos).
Preparing the Momos shape:
I have tried 2 shapes in this,the one if full circle as depicted in the snap .The other is Half crescent,following are the steps:
- Take a small portion of the dough,about size of a large Coin.
- Roll it out with a rolling pin,to about 4-5″ in diameter,make sure that the covering is neither very thick,it may not cook,neither very thin that it becomes transparent.
- Place 1 -1.5tsp of filling in the center.
- To make Full round Momos: carefully cluster the edges of the Circular cover to the middle so that the edges cover the filling completely and slightly twist the thus clustered edges.Press where the folds are accumulated gently so that the filling is sealed in inside.
- To make half Crescent Momos:Cover join one half edge over the other to form a semicircle and now seal the edge by slightly pinching the edges bit by bit and folding to form a wavy pattern.
- These momos are ready to be steamed.
- Take a Large Vessel on which your steamer basket can be placed like a lid.
- Fill it with 1/3 water,and bring to a boil on a stove top.
- Meanwhile ,Oil the bottom of the steamer basket so that the momos do not stick to it.
- When the Water starts to boil,place the steamer basket on top of the vessel,place the momos and cover the steamer basket with a lid.
- Cook on steam for 10mts.
- Meanwhile prepare the Sweet and sour sauce.
- Remove from basket after 10mts,serve hot with sauce.
Be careful when u eat it,as the liquid from the filling can be hot enf to spoil the show for you.
Here is an image of the steamer basket I use,which came with my Rice cooker.
Sweet and Sour Chinese sauce:
- Mix all the above mentioned ingredients in a sauce pan except for corn starch.
- Bring to a boil,adjust the consistency with corn starch.Cool and use.