Delicacy of the North Malabar region,this item is most prominent on the road side T shops ,during all times of the day.Most commonly during the RAMDAN months.”Arri” refers to the Rice mixture stuffing,and “kaddukka” refers to mussels in Malayalam.
To make nearly 15 Arrikadukka
- 15 mussels Washed and shell cleaned of Rock and other particles-pried open and then lightly run under water.
- 1.5 cup rice.
- 3/4 cup coconut grating
- 3 green chillies
- 1/2 ” ginger
- 1/2 tsp prinjeeragam
- 1/2 tsp coriander seeds
- salt to taste.
- 1 tsp chilly powder
- 3/4 tsp rice powder
- salt for coating
- oil for frying
- 1/4 onion chopped
- Prepare mussels as mentioned above(people also do this using precooked mussels ,with a little different taste-since during cooking the juices of the seafood comes out and is lost).
- Grind together Rice and coconut into coarse paste with very less water.
- Just when about done add,green chillies,ginger,perinjeerakam and coriander seeds and grind for a few secs.
- To this add salt and chopped onions and mix well.
- Take a handful of the ground mixture and insert into the cavity between the 2 halves of the mussels.Close the 2 halves and remove the excess mixture.
- prepare rest of the mussels in similar manner.
- Steam it for 15-20mts.
- Let it cool,the mussels would have stuck to the mixture and the mixture would be cooked.
- Remove the stuffed mussels from its shell.
- Make a mixture of chilly powder,salt and rice powder with 1/4 cup water.
- Dip the mussels in the chilly water,to coat it evenly.
- Shallow fry it on a girdle with little oil,till the mussels are fried.
- Arrikadukka is ready to serve.